20120224

See more nanometers!

Want to see infrared light, but don't know how? Pick up your phone, turn the camera on, take your TV remote controller, press the button - and watch as a tiny bit of awesomeness is revealed in front of you. :)

video 

To some, this is probably old news. It is very cool, though, I'm bored and I can do it, so I'll say a bit about it anyway. As you can see on the video above, which was made with my Samsung I5500 about five minutes ago, this actually works. No, I don't have a purple LED light installed in my remote controller, that would make no sense, and would be lame. So go ahead and try for yourselves.
Image taken from http://www.extension.org/pages/13136/infrared-photography
So how does this work? It's really simple. Typical human eye can resolve wavelengths from about 390 to 750 nanometers, and this range we call 'visible spectrum'. Wavelength of the infrared light, on the other hand, is between 750 nm and 1000 nm. Cellphone cameras can see light ranging approximately from 350 nm to 1000 nm. The remote control works by sending out a pulse of infrared light from its transmitter when a button is pressed. Add two and two (and two and two) and you have the answer - phone cameras are cooler than your eyes, though only in this one aspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...